Saturday, April 14, 2007

Importance of Play

One of my areas of interest centers around childhood development - specifically the biology, physiology and psychology of how children learn! What better stage in life to be than to have young children. It is so exciting to watch my boys explore, discover and learn new things!

One very important aspect of learning at this age is imaginative play. Kids need free time to make up their own worlds. This is where true learning takes place in the younger years. By playing, they are making sense of and practicing all of the new things they are learning. So I've been working on making sure I'm at home a little more often so that Xander has the time to explore thru play. It can take time and doesn't always happen according to my plans. There have been many times where I try to hurry him on the the next activity and fail to realize that he is FULLY engaged in what he was currently doing. I'm slowly learning to read him better and foster areas where he is already showing interest.

I've been reading several great books on the subject and hope to blog a bit on what I'm reading, but in the meantime, here's an article to get things started!

Brain Play
Why Preschoolers need to Pretend
by Jane Faull

Recent brain research has convinced many parents of the importance of providing their children with stimulating early experiences--reading and talking to them and taking them on excursions. What parents often don't realize or value, however, is that preschool-aged children absorb those experiences and make sense of their world most effectively when engaged in imaginative play. Preschoolers who spend more time in dramatic play are more advanced not only in general intellectual development but also in their ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Read more here...

3 comments:

  1. great article. you should read "the wonder of boys" by michael gurian. i think you would really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just KNEW there wasn't something wrong with me because i lived in a continual imaginary world during most of my childhood... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out "The Wonder of Boys"... I've seen it at the library, but never read it.

    Andrea, that's right. Sometimes I wish I could go back to my childhood imaginary worlds... At least I get the joy of watching my boys enter in now.

    ReplyDelete