Thursday, June 28, 2007

Finding Neverland...


One of my favorite movies is "Finding Neverland". I love how it portrays the imagination and the importance of imaginative "adventures"! It always brings back such wonderful memories from my own childhood and an anticipation of being able to watch my boys enter into this magical phase as well!

Much to my delight, Alexander has come under the spell of Neverland. He recently found a book on Peter Pan and has become enthralled with the story. He talks almost non-stop about Peter ‘M’an, Neverland and flying… In order to foster his leap into this wonderful imaginary world, we made a Peter Pan hat for him. Xander and I went to the fabric store a couple of days ago. The beauty of this project is that it took me about 10 minutes. I just measured around his head (20 inches), added 4 inches to this measurement. The height of the hat, was 1/3 the length. So I cut a rectangle 24 inches by 8 inches. I folded the long side in half and then cut out a triangle. I proceeded to sew down that line that I had just cut. I turned this inside out, cut a small slit for the feather which I glued down to the had and ta-da – he has a new Peter Pan hat! If I was a little more patient or didn’t have a sewing machine, I could have just used fabric glue instead.

Now he is flying around the house and fighting pirates to his hearts content!

3 comments:

  1. wow. this warms the cockles of my heart. peter pan was my favorite story growing up! i'm so thrilled that xander has discovered the wonderfulness of peter pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an imagination!! I also loved the book. Be sure an add the pics to your site. MiMa

    ReplyDelete