Thursday, November 1, 2007

Creation

Since Xander has been learning about Creation at Cubbies and memorizing verses related to it, we've started a unit on Creation. I plan on spending the next three weeks going through and learning about God's beautiful creation! Xander is also not totally up on number (symbol) recognition, so I'm also using this time to reinforce his ability to recognize the numbers and play various numbers games. It's been fun so far and I'll post a little more about how it is going later.

My latest read has provided inspiration along the way (The Hidden Art of Homemaking, by Edith Shaeffer). I adored the first chapter where she talked about how, as believers, we are called to be creative and artistic in our everyday endeavors as a reflection of the perfect Creator God whom we worship. I love her wholistic approach to integrating faith into every area of our lives. It is easy to see how influential she was on my mom as I read and I'm thankful that I too can benefit from her writings. (I'm especially thankful for this book as it played a central role in changing my mom's heart on wanting kids. Three months after reading it, I came into existence!)


There is a chapter on creating art as a way of reflecting the Creator. I'm by no means artistically inclined. But in seeing her examples of how she used this area to bless her children, I embarked on making this wonderful creation wheel. Thankfully, kids aren't as discriminating on judging good art and it has proved a useful and entertaining tool in teaching Xander about creation! He loves turning the wheel and sharing with me about what happened on each day of creation!(Thanks to Tara for turning me on to the wonderfully prolific Kathy Ross and her arts and crafts books!!!)

3 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful teacher! And he is a little sponge. It is amazing what they can learn. You are laying the foundation of a life with Christ for your little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can't wait to get my hands on those books!! Where did you end up buying them at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked them out from the library! I really like FREE! I had no idea she was so prolific until I did a search by author...

    ReplyDelete