Friday, April 10, 2009

Road to Calvary

What a day of remembering...

Keegan enjoyed the Hot Cross Buns. I had no idea that these were a traditional Good Friday treat. In his 2 year old way, he is trying to understand what is happening. He kept saying,

"Cross, hurt."
Over and over again. Baby steps...
Today, we read from The Picture Bible of the events leading up to the crucifixion: weeping as I read, in awe of God's love for us...

I find that I am moved, even with the children's books that cover what Christ did for us at Calvary.
We talked about the significance of today and put up another of the symbols on our Road to Calvary banner.
My mom had saved directions for making this banner and accompanying devotional. It is designed to start on Ash Wednesday and carry thru to Resurrection Sunday! Simply reading about church traditions during this season has been so faith building. It came from the book, Family Celebrations: Meeting Christ in Your Holidays.  Ann Hibbard, the author, has also published a book that has this and other Easter activities in the book, Family Celebrations at Easter.

I look forward to watching the boys growing understanding of the rich symbolism God laid out in the Bible pointing towards what Jesus would accomplish at the cross and the victory found in His resurrection!

Lastly, if any of you haven't checked out Holy Experience, I highly recommend it. God has given her a way with words... I'm always freshly inspired to sit at the feet of Jesus, to receive His love and then love Him in return after spending time on her blog.

She has two ideas that I wouldn't mind trying in the years to come for Easter. The Easter garden is beautiful and totally something that a young child would understand. Her Easter tree is gorgeous. I love the use of art to depict the Easter story. Sometime when my boys are much older, we might revisit this.

May you all have a wonderful Easter weekend, enjoying the presence of the One who suffered much so that we could be children of God!

1 comment:

  1. I am inspired by your Easter activities. Seeing these truths come anew to the next generation makes them all the more precious to me. Thank you, Heather!

    ReplyDelete