Monday, July 20, 2009

Nesting, Stacking and Rhyming, Oh My!


After the home school convention this last weekend, I am freshly inspired to interact with and teach my little one's! I was reminded of the importance of spending individual time with EACH child, EVERY day.

So today, I pulled out our stacking/nesting block set that Mima bought for Trey! He had so much fun stacking it up and pushing over his tower creation. He loved having my undivided attention as I cheered him on in his play! He did "fairly" well at stacking in descending order of size.

Each boy then proceeded to have private time in the play-yard with the blocks. What was so fascinating about this amazing toy was seeing how each child played with it in a way that was developmentally relevant for him. Trey simply stacked and knocked over. Keegan, was obsessed with sorting them from largest to smallest, counting them and making sure they were stacked "just right". He was then equally interested in nesting them. It took him several tries, but he kept at it until he figured out how to do it. Xander stacked them up, but then studied each side - the 1,2, Buckle My Shoe rhyme on one side, the alphabet on another side and then a picture of a Mother Goose nursery rhyme. He's quite the story teller and enjoyed relaying the story to me.

One toy, so many ways to play with it!

This really is a wonderful toy - and beautiful too! All of the blocks made by this company are beautiful. My mom has another set from the Metropolitan Museum of Art that is also stunning.

I'm in the process of putting together a "Learning Box" for Keegan (and Trey too) that will store my educational toys that I can pull out and spend one-on-one time with him. This will definitely be going in there!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that the blocks are being used in such different ways for all the boys.

    ReplyDelete