Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Getting the bad guys"


Recently, we were reading one of Xander's current favorite books, Sam the Minuteman.  It is about a boy who helps his dad when the redcoats were marching on Lexington and Concord. 

When they heard the second call to arms, Sam's mother didn't want Sam to go out and fight again after a friend of his had been wounded the day before.  When I asked him why the mother might not want him to go out to fight, he responded:

"Because she wanted to shoot the bad guys herself."

:shakes head:

He has a long way to go to emphathize with or understand a mother's heart.  Although I don't know if I really understood until I had children of my own, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.


As an aside:  There is a cool companion book from a British boy's point of view: George the Drummer, that we also enjoy.  We will be utilizing this pair of books when we formally study the American War for Independence as it is helpful to see that we are human no matter what side we are on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment