Monday, January 11, 2010

From the mouth of babes...

During bathtime last week I took advantage of the 'containment' to clean my bathroom.  As I was lost in thought, I heard bits and pieces of their conversations.  Strange words, indeed...

One spoke to the other: "I'm the grown-up, I don't have to listen."

Neither child could agree who would be the parent and who the child in their pretend play.  Neither wanted to listen to the other...

My heart broke.

Do I take time to listen to my kids?  Really listen?  Listen to understand, to have a two-way communication?

I want to listen, have that give & take, share intimate moments.

It is easy for me to get focused on what needs to be done, to be impatient and expect perfect listening and obedience on their part and not reciprocate by extending graciousness, excitement and a ready ear and heart when they want to talk the most.

It is ironic that listening and attentiveness is what we are gearing all of our learning around this semester and I find that I too am in desperate need of growing in this area.

Actively listening and responding to my kids, to my hubby and most importantly to the Lord.

I'm so grateful that God uses my children to 'get through to me' and call me closer to Himself.

And so, I marvel at God's working and blessing in my life.

My gratitude list continues...

47. for a MILD stomach bug that appears to have hit only one child.

48. for good health in general.

49. sunshiney, but cool days.


50. desert walks with my family.

51. big, blue Arizona sky.  I love the feeling of open space!

52. spectacular desert sunsets.  He truly is an amazing artist.


53. for mess because it means that kids live here.


54. for my mess, because it reminds me that we are all a work in progress.


55. for 'a-ha' moments from those I am teaching!  (God made our outer ears the way He did for a reason.)


56. playing the 'never-ending' game of Chutes and Ladders with my boys and getting to witness the thrill of a good move! 

57. for change.  Life is never dull and there is always change coming.  It keeps me on my toes and trusting God!
holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment