Monday, May 3, 2010

Unexpected Places



Potty-training is my nemesis.  It is my least favorite part of parenting, bar none.  

Even just the thought of urine or poo in my carpet or even worse someone else's floor leaves me feeling panicky.  Some mothers seem so relaxed and nonchalant about it.  I envy them. 

I was with a friend once and her daughter had an accident all over the floor in Pottery Barn Kids.  We were there "playing" with all of the cool toys.  My friend was so calm as she took her daughter to the back of the store to change her.  Meanwhile I'm mortified, panicking inside and so thankful that I wasn't in her shoes...

Instead of the long-drawn out process, my solution was to wait until the older two boys could pretty much potty train themselves in a matter of days.  This didn't occur until they were close to three.  But I was only in agony for a few days and it was over.

And now I have Treyton, who is ever so eager to catch up with his brothers... 

My mom and sister have been telling me for months that he was probably ready to potty train.  He would pull himself up on the potty to practice and took great pride in "going" on command into a cloth diaper while he stood in the bathtub before his nightly bath.  He loved the stop and go that he had control over... 

But I just couldn't get over my fears...

That all changed this weekend.  We stayed home on Saturday and Sunday morning while Rich took the older boys out. 

I was surprised to find a weekend full of so many gifts, in the most unlikely situation.

  • The weekend was so special because I had hours to spend completely focused on my youngest.  He's usually the one who tags along.  This weekend he was the star!
  • The joy of reading book after book to him, with no arguing over who gets to pick the next book!
  • Getting down at his level and getting perspective, his perspective.
  • Seeing his soft tooshie run around bare.
  • Baking cookies with Treyton, so he'd have a reward for #2 going where it should.  I've never cooked with just him before.
  • Catches in his breath and wide eyes as he races for his potty.
  • Watching his brothers gather around him in the afternoons, cheering him on!
  • Seeing phenomenal progress on the #1 front - only one accident on Saturday...
  • Seeing personal growth.  I'm more relaxed and patient.  (God is at work and ever so faithful in my life because this is not the natural, old me.)  I was calm and didn't 'give up' even after cleaning up #2 that was smeared all over the carpet this morning.  (Although I'll take any and all hints on helping him conquer this obstacle.)
  • As I mop up poo, the reminder that I get to do that because I have this son of mine.  I'm thankful for him, despite the messes.
  • Instead of pure dread, I am actually relaxed and embracing this (hopefully short) season in Treyton's life.
Gifts: 221-231
I'm so thankful for my gratitude community because it is helping me to consistently look for God's blessings in my life and find them in the most surprising places. 


holy experience

5 comments:

  1. Cute post. I hear ya' on that potty training. But when are you going to be able to post such cute pictures...you won't get away with that for long. Sweet. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten the potty training woes...but hang in there, it will eventually ALL work out, hopefully into the potty! :) Seriously, your post was a refreshing reminder for me. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too get anxiety about potty training. We haven't officially started yet. I read a really great and short book about potty training boys. It help me gain some perspective (since i really don't know what i'm doing anyways). The book is "Potty Training Boys the easy Way" by Caroline Fertleman and Simone Cave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, potty training.

    We are still working through potty training! :) And Mati's 4! Well, she's got it down, we have #2 issues.

    Hang in there. It is so wonderful to know that the Lord is doing such amazing things in our lives, especially in these moments. Crisis often brings us closer to Him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm sooo with you on the potty training thing. I'd rather change a diaper any day! I'm finally on my last and although I miss everything about my babies--THIS is not one of them! lol!
    Glad you found something to learn through it all :)

    ReplyDelete