Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Going Global

We plan on traveling all over the world this summer...

...without ever leaving home.

That's right, this summer we embark on a journey around the world and discover where we fit into it!

Xander already has my love of maps.  Sometimes I wonder if it can be genetic.  Afterall, I am the daughter of a cartographer dad and a geography-degreed mom! 

This last year we've had fun running to our wall map of the world to find locations that come up in our reading.  After reading a book about the earth, the boys set to work creating their own maps!
I was actually pretty amazed at the features and locations that Xander (5.8 yo) included on his map.  He totally pegged where we live in his rendition of North America and was able to pinpoint where Ittiel lives (the Peruvian boy we sponsor through Compassion.)

Keegan (3.8yo) drew a fanciful map of his 'world' which included mostly local places (our house, the store, the cookie store, Oma/Opa's house, Aunt B's, etc...)
It is always amazing to see where they are each at and appreciate them for who they are and what they are ready to create!

While coloring is fine and dandy, the icing on the cake of our introduction to world geography was the hands (and feet) on approach of playing our version of Twister - global style!

There is something so powerful in engaging one's whole body in the learning process.  They loved figuring out the names of the continents.  Xander loved using both his hands and feet to mark the continents I called out.  With Keegan, we kept it simpler and I asked him to "hop into" _____ continent.  And Trey, at 2 years old just loved running and hopping at random, although I wouldn't be surprised if he catches on and is participating more!

We plan on eventually adding in the four oceans to the mix and when he's ready for an added twist, specifying right or left!


It was a challenge to get the idea from my head successfully to a mat.  In the end, although I ended up freehanding the continents (don't look too close, Dad), I'm happy with how it turned out. 

A tutorial for this just might need to be done.  So much fun is just meant to be shared! (Tutorial found here.)

Come check out all of our WORLD GEOGRAPHY ADVENTURES!

14 comments:

  1. I love this! Is it okay if I post and link it on my blog?

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm flattered that I made it onto Keegan's map! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your continent quilt! AWESOME! I wish I had a quarter of your creativity! And yes, please do a tutorial on the quilt. The kids will love it.

    You're a genius, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that turned out amazing! please, can we come over and play?? pretty please??

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will also be starting a geography unit soon. What a marvelous idea for me to use! I would love a tutorial as I am looking at it wondering how you made it durable enough to stand up to little boy feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I am currently working on a tutorial. This is a fun one and will be possible for everyone because there was NO SEWING involved! :) As soon as I figure out how to convert my large map into a downloadable PDF, I'll put the directions up. (Hopefully later this week.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather - I've been following your blog for a yearish now, and pegging away all your book recommendations and getting so inspired by how you seek to make learning fun for your boys... but I had to tell you how much I love the geography twister idea - brilliant!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the geography twister. That's brilliant! Gotta make myself one of these mats. What fabric did you use? Is it felt?
    http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK YOU FOR LINKING UP TO MY HOMESCHOOL SHOW & TELL! I CAN SEE WHY THIS WAS ONE OF YOUR FAVORITES! WHAT A GREAT LESSON! ENJOY YOUR WEEK!
    :) NICOLE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking up to the Geography/History carnival. Look at your kid's art work of the world, that is fantastic! I love that game!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I love your Twister - global style! What an awesome idea for hands-on ... and feet-on ;)... learning! Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I found your blog! Montessori teacher and homeschooler here, I will definately make this activity.

    Thanks,
    Jessie
    www.educationofours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! Thanks for linking up and sharing this with the Smart Summer Challenge!

    Fondly,
    pink and green mama
    MaryLea

    ReplyDelete