Monday, July 19, 2010

Lessons for Him, Lessons for Me


"I just can't do it," he shrieked completely losing control of his emotions.

What should have been a quick, easy task has ended in a fit of tears.  I battle frustration.

As I sat talking to this almost 6 year old son of mine (so old and yet so very young), he spilled out his heart to me - his doubts, fears and frustration.

While mostly incoherant, it was evident that these burdens were dragging him down.  And while they seem somewhat trivial to me with my adult mindset of what 'real' problems look like, it is obvious that they are enormous to him.

In a desperate attempt to try and help him, I grab a pile of bean bags and pull him aside.  I explained to him that Jesus wants to bear our burdens and that when we 'cast our cares upon Him, He takes care of us.' (I Peter 5:7)

I could feel the tension leave his body as he gave each bean bag a spoken or even unspoken care and made the physical movement to represent his internal decision to cast it on Jesus.  Before I knew it, I too found myself joining in.  Most of mine were unspoken so as not to weigh him down with cares that were beyond his years.  There was such a release in that physical act that was merely a representation of giving our cares to Jesus. 

My heart fills with gratitude.  These children of mine help me to slow down.  As I attempt to raise them, I find myself more often than not convicted and inspired to heed the words from Scripture that I am passing on to them.  How can I expect them to respond and internalize these truths, if I'm not doing the same?

Walking away from this object lesson, we both found ourselves travelling with a lighter step.  It is so freeing to not have to carry around burdens that we were never supposed to be dragging along and simply TRUST God.

So this has become our family 'go to' verse for now.  When nightmares come, a task that seems to difficult, there is conflict with a brother, an economy continues to flounder or I worry about future provision we turn to this verse and apply.  It is delightful to see his face light up in understanding when encouraged to give it to Jesus.  I can see him mentally tossing that weighted bean bag off and enjoying the release.  And I marvel that I too am experiencing the same.

So I once again join up with the Gratitude community and continue to identify the many gifts in my life!

holy experience

346. Seeing a son learn valuable lessons.
347. Getting to learn right along side him.
348. Providential blessing in a new job for Rich
349. Seeing my husband excited and passionate about what he is doing.
350. Seeing us all embrace this new season of Rich working outside the home with joy.
351. Getting to have him home with us for these last five years.
352. Preparing for and anticipating our workshop at the homeschool convention this week.
353. Rough and tumble little boys
354. Opportunities to teach my boys how to share and get along
355. Opportunity to meet together with an incredible group of women and digging into the Word.

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea!
    I might try this, it sounds very healing, for both kids and mothers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and inspiring. Thank you, Heather! Look forward to seeing you and your mom this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! Really cool. I will be trying this out myself with my little guy. Thanks for stopping by. Good to meet you. :)

    Blessings, Lora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! I'm definitely going to use that scripture. thanks!

    ReplyDelete