Monday, August 16, 2010

Birthday-Buddies

When my firstborn arrived 6 years ago I was desperate to retain my own birthday.  Due to interventions that I wish I had never agreed to, he did indeed arrive on his OWN birthday - 8 minutes before sharing one with me.

Over the years another boy joined our birthday week and I've learned a few things:

1) My birthday doesn't mean as much anymore (both because I'm grown-up and because we're pretty much birthday-ed out by the time mine arrives).
2) It doesn't bother me one bit anymore!
I couldn't be more grateful to share in the birthday love with my two oldest boys!  There is something just so special about going out for our free birthday icecream cones together!   Each year, I'm reminded of two of the best birthday gifts I've ever received!  They keep me in stitches and life has been richer since then!

So we end a busy week of celebrating, remembering and being overcome with gratitude!  And I continue on my way to counting 1000 gifts!
holy experience

356. Built-in birthday buddies.
357. Watching excitement over being a year older.
358. A middle child who repeatedly asked for a dragon cake, not realizing that this really isn't 'my thing'.
359. The internet - always a rich source of step by step directions for things like dragon birthday cakes.
360. Kids that still loved it even though most of the icing melted right off the cake on the way to 'family night' at my parents.
361. A little boy who wants to be a part of the action so badly that he's now walking up to perfect strangers just to announce and demonstrate with two chubby fingers that he's "TWO".
362. Parents who agree to take all three boys, so I can have a birthday night out with my hubby!
363. Yummy free birthday treats!  Salt River bars at Liberty Market rock!
364. A friend who calls just to sing Happy Birthday to me.  Totally made my day. :)
365. Countless games of Ticket to Ride.  ok, ok, I'm pretty addicted! 
366. A brother-in-law who is willing to share his Ticket to Ride game with us for a week, even though he's addicted too!
367. A sister who tells it to me straight and wants to make sure that I'm taking care of myself.
368. A mom who follows up with more of the same.
369. An impromptu offering of lego flowers from my four year old!  A girl loves flowers, no matter how they come!

:sigh: I'm one blessed woman!

13 comments:

  1. Cute cake - looks great! :-)
    Your birthday will only get better as your boys get older - my mom, brother, and sister-in-law all share a birthday and they LOVE it now that my brother is grown. And he never forgets to make it special for my mom. Great list - love them all...and the lego flowers are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my all time fav of your gratitude lists. Love how you actually enjoy sharing your birthday week. Love how your sweet two-year-old wants in on the action. And LOVE the flower bouquet from the four-year-old. So much goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! i wrote about my birthday in my gratitude list as well (i wonder if we are also bday buddies? 15th?)
    i am a triplet so i was "forced" by nature to share, and i always loved it. and then in highschool, our two best friends were the 14th and 16th, and now my sister's whole family are aug babies... so yeah, we know what it's like to be birthday'd out or just be on the bottom of the pile!
    happy belated and i enjoyed counting w/ you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joy to celebrate your birthday ... 3 in one week. Triple blessings.

    As always a joy to splash around in thankfulness. Your blog, simply delightful.

    Splashin' in His goodness,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! As for the dragon cake, you rock in the mom department :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh! i loved the cake! I know when your boys are all grown up, your birthday will become more important to them than their own. It just happens that way:)Happy birthday, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lego flowers are amazing! How wonderfully sweet! And, the dragon cake...so cute!
    Precious list and post.
    blessings
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the birthday wishes and compliments on the cake. It was truly a labor of love since that is not something that I feel particularly talented in doing or actually even interested in doing. Food presentation has never been my forte...

    Mrs. Miller, hahaha... you've been able to witness the transformation from selfish birthday hoarder to enjoying the sharing. God sure is good, isn't He?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to all of you! Love the dragon cake...it's right up my 9 year old's alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea to count to 1000 things to be thankful for! I need to do that myself! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm visiting from the hip homeschool blog hop. Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Turkana, I can't recommend it enough. It has totally changed the way I think and view everything in life! :) I count way more than I could ever list here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great cake!! I am visiting and following from the homeschool hop! Nice to meet you!

    Melisa

    ReplyDelete