Monday, October 11, 2010

Promise Cookies


Call me ignorant, but I didn't realize that fortune cookies weren't 'invented' in China, but instead in California... In fact, when they were introduced to China, they were billed as the “genuine American fortune cookie.”

But I still had my heart set on trying to make some for our recent Chinese dinner.

As I began planning and searching for a recipe, I found myself pondering the idea of a ‘fortune’. What is a ‘fortune’? I usually think of it in terms of things that will happen to a person in his life or as fate, lot and destiny.

I decided to give these cookies a new twist by putting eternal promises inside of them... I included several of Keegan's verses from Cubbies. You should have seen his eyes light up in excitement and wonder as we read them!

Most of the verses or statements had to do with heaven. This one-time cookie event, birthed many discussions of heaven. It was beautiful to listen to their questions come.

And sobering as they inquired about the alternative… I was sobered too. Why don’t we talk about that more?

One of my favorites tucked away in a cookie:

“No mere man has ever seen, heard or even imagined what wonderful things God has for you.”
I Corinthians 2:9

It is amazing to ponder that as much as we can think about it, dream and speculate that it will be far greater than we could ever imagine.

I’m so thankful to have these opportunities tucked away in our day-to-day life to talk about such things. It is good for me to ponder and I’m grateful for the opportunity to talk to my children about eternal matters.

In the end, what else matters.


As my heart fills with gratitude, I continue to peck out my list and make my way towards 1,000.


holy experience


401. Talking of Jesus with my boys.
402. Relishing the fact that I am a child of God.
403. First heart-felt prayers from my 4 year old last week. (He doesn’t have a people pleasing bone in his body – aka strong willed, so it was such a joy to hear him talking to Jesus of his own accord.)
404. Perspective on suffering that puts my puny complaints in perspective. 
405. Zoo explorations in cooler weather.  (Fall is here - we've dropped below the 100's!)
406. The sight of boys running down shaded pathways.
407. Four year old hugs and declarations of love.
408. Two year old belly laughs
409. Husband passing his Series 7 test on the first go around.
410. Celebrating with him over a birthday dinner.  (yes he had to take that long test ON his birthday)
411. The sound of my niece singing, "A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I, Trey, Trey, L,M,N,O,P..."
412. Slower paced days that inevitably accompany sickness.
413. Sleep, especially when it is uninterrupted.
414. An unexpected call from a college friend.
415. The anticipation of getting to see her and her beautiful children today!!!
416. Reminders to cherish and celebrate the everyday!

10 comments:

  1. I love your promise cookie idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was ignorant with you!! :) But I love your idea of promise cookies . . . what a great teaching tool and a beautiful expression of turning the ordinary into something more. Beauty everywhere! Especially toddler belly giggle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I wholeheartedly agree on how wonderful it is when you hear a child reaching out to the Lord truly on his/her own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Promise cookies *are* a great idea. Good for you! A much better filler than what you can buy, full of nonsense numbers and platitudes. Oh, and BTW, I didn't know they weren't Chinese either...but it doesn't suprise me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list! I just started mine this week and already feel a profound peace in my soul.

    I am the mama to three boys too- although mine aren't so little anymore...enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, what a fabulous idea!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There really is nothing like a four year old hug. I have always wanted to make fortune cookies, love this idea of promise cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We loved getting to see you all, too! And what a great idea for these cookies!

    P.S. I was in a happiness-bubble all day from our visit. What a treat for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful list! (and I love those cookies!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful list, great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete