Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Buck Well Spent

It is sometimes the simplest things in life that occupy and delight us!  Last year when we were studying Native Americans and frontiersmen, I found these tiny figurines at the dollar store.

Xander was fairly obsessed with them last year.

And these have inspired hours of quiet play (punctuated by muted gunshots and intense fighting scenes) with Keegan too!  Because it is his 'private' play, somehow it remains quiet and even peaceful despite the battles... 
 
Some of the most hard-fought battles are quiet, mostly internal, aren't they?
Saving his Alamo.

It's tiny moments like this when my heart swells and my mind fills with the little blessings that God sends our way...

peeking in on imaginative play
boy creativity
a hug around my ankles and whispers of "I wuv you" from my 2.5 year old
unspoken moments of connection with my husband
a husband who encourages me to take on challenges
boys eager to learn
cooperative morning play in their rooms
while mom and dad get a rare morning to doze/sleep-in
a Sunday morning with my third-born who was sick.  Just him and me.
hearing him ask me if I can help him "pick up toys" 
(still pinching myself over this one)
reading aloud
God's provision in His calling me to give up a good thing for His perfect thing for me.
exploring our bilingual coloring book together
the chance to help kids in Guatemala learn about Jesus.

Gifts 552-565
Counting my gifts with others at:

4 comments:

  1. those are a dollar well spent. My boys love theirs too, with a love I wouldn't expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss Army Men Play. . . . We used to have so much fun building forts and such and then zooming cars and marching armies. . . . Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. Lovely list. Oh the joys of boys!! And I *love* your phtos for this post...how fun! :)

    Many blessings!
    Camille

    P.S. I hope your little one is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys have always loved their little army men. I find them all over the house and the yard. They set up battles at the base of the trees. Neighborhood boys join them too. May be the best dollar you'll spend on a boy (other than a Hot Wheels car). :)

    ReplyDelete