Monday, February 7, 2011

It Could Have Been Worse...

Do you ever wonder how kids, boys especially, survive childhood?  I find myself pondering this frequently.  Last week, we were thankful for God's protection yet again...

My dad dropped by on Friday afternoon for a bit.  The boys were excitedly telling him about their morning coronations.  Keegan hadn't parted with the dearly beloved scepter all day and both boys were of course still decked out in their crowns.

Suddenly Xander decided to run find his new Bible verses that he was working on in order to read them to Opa.  In the excitement, Keegan - who had been now sucking on the end of the scepter, jumped up, only to lose his balance and fall forward into the chair.

Initially, I thought nothing of it, until my dad mentioned that he had the scepter in his mouth when he fell.  Keegan was coughing a bit and getting ready to cry.  When I noticed tissue on the end of the scepter, my heart jumped into my throut as we rushed to get him into the kitchen in case there was blood.

Panic hit as the blood began to flow from both his nose and mouth.  I prayed as we closely monitered him to determine the severity of the injury.  Thankfully, despite the blood all over my floor, it didn't appear too serious.  Within an hour, he was up and running around as if nothing happened.

That night after my husband talked to the boys about not putting things in their mouths, we realized how serious that really could have been.  I hugged each of my boys that night and savored every giggle, every squirm.  That twinkle in their eyes and the tiny voices delighted me afresh.  I was thankful, that despite their impish 24-7 activity, that God sends his guardian angels to protect my boys.

So I take time from the busyness of LIFE to recount just a few of the many gifts God is giving me...

586. reminders that life is precious, fragile.
587. daily protection
588. peace that replaces panic
589. blunt, hollow plastic
590. little boy giggles
591. twinkling eyes
592. dimples
593. boy bear hugs
594. Creative uses of toys!  Drum as a shield.  Crown - upside down as a knights visor!  (He was a little weary of royal duties and that scepter by this point.)
595. watching thrilled little boys welcome Mima and Pa for a visit recently.
596. conversations with my mil!
597. freshly cleaned, fluffy carpet.
598. watching the boys meet their very first llama! 
599. little boys getting a chance to 'help.'
600. friends with family connections! This friends family had a bona fide zoo in their backyard!
601. having a husband who understands even without words being spoken.
602. sleep.
603. faith-building opportunities.
604. Watching prayers be miraculously answered! 
605. glimpses of fierce concentation during PE.
606. A class that lets the 'almost 3 year old' tag along every once in a while.
607. Daydreaming...

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Scary times with little ones when they put things in their mouths... surviving childhood, indeed! :) Just learning about all the boyishness after 3 girls! Wow, what a difference.
    Have a wonderful week, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, praise God!

    i think it will be interesting when we get to heaven and realize all the many times we were spared and protected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am relieved that Keegan is alright. I've become increasingly aware of God's mercy...driving, school, etc. Truly He watches over his children. And I'm so grateful.

    And that look on Keegan's face during P.E. Oh boy, he's as competitive as his mom and dad!

    And did I mention that I'm jealous for your sleep! Glad you're getting some, but we're headed into a lot of sleeplessness ourselves... ugh.

    xoxo,

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord!
    I have 5 boys and often wonder how they survive each other! Every time one runs to me crying, I pray before I even turn to look.

    I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful that Keegan wasn't hurt badly. Tell him MiMa will pray that he doesn't have that
    happen again. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, lol. Boys sure are different.

    Mountain Mama - That will be an exciting time when we get a peak at that...

    Jes - Hahaha, these boys of ours definitely inherited the competitive gene. I guess it was inevitable considering their parents... I'll be praying for you and the 'sleep issue' in the upcoming weeks/months. Thankfully, we only have one who still has occasional nightmares that wake me up.

    Tara, Praying before you look sounds like a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mima - thanks. Your warnings in the past about potential dangers has been helpful. We're adding any kinds of stick in the mouth to that category.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello~

    just wanted to let you know that i nominated you with the stylish blog award should you choose to accept it! :)

    God bless~

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that nothing dreadful happened after that *incident*...how resilient our little men are! What a lot of action goes on around there...I understand that type of household! :)

    Wonderful list...isn't it lovely to count?

    Many blessings to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  10. Camille,

    It is ever so lovely to count. It is encouraging to see that even though you've met the goal of 1,000 that you are still counting!

    ReplyDelete