Monday, February 21, 2011

Of Rain and Need

We had a delightful weekend soaking up a beautiful two rainy, cool days!  With Spring here in our desert home, it was nice to have at least one more cool, wet weekend before the thermostat starts its ascent back up.

Here in our part of the world, we average 8 inches of rain a year - 8 tiny little inches.  Our plants are beautifully created to endure, to conserve.  Saguaro swell, creosote release fragrant oils, wildflowers quickly bloom, seeds long hibernating in the dry ground germinate.

Being a native of this desert region, I'm always eager for the rain.  It is refreshing and life giving.  My midwest husband, with 32 inches of rain per year memories, just doesn't understand my fascination with the rain.  He is thrilled with our 330+ days of sunshine.  Rarity makes it valued all the more.

Rain and our desperate need for it here never fails to remind me of my true need.

As mentioned in one of my favorite {old} worship songs:

Like the desert needs the rain, I need You.
Like the ocean needs the streams, I need You.
Like the morning needs the sun, I need You.

Most rainy days find me outside, mulling over God's faithful, gentle, consistent call to me.  It reminds me of my NEED for Him.  Not just a one time salvation need - although I'm thankful He gave that.  But I have an ongoing need for intimacy, guidance, hope that He is ever ready to give.

So it is with delight that I continue to record His many gifts for me and join with others in the gratitude community. 

618. For God's free gift of salvation. I'm in fresh awe that God rescued me from a {living} death and life of despair.
619. The gift of adoption.  I'm forever a child of God - given purpose and hope!
620. God's Word -the Bible - it always calms me.
621. Two days of rain!
622. Boys eager to go explore, boots on feet and umbrella's in hand.
623. Flooded retention areas and puddle explorations!
624. The sound of rain hitting our umbrellas.
625. Watching the water drip off.
626. Raindrops caught in eyelashes.
627. Creosote and its gift of the 'desert rain' smell.  Truly intoxicating!
628. Losing ourselves in The Prince and the Pauper.
629. Hearing my son beg for "just one more chapter."
630. Watching the old 1930's version (with Errol Flynn) afterwards and seeing the boys excitedly making connections to the book.
631. Little boy imaginative play.
632. Laughing eyes.
633. Affectionate hugs.
634. A husband's day off and home adventures that included him today!

5 comments:

  1. I always enjoy the rains also. Living in the Southeast, we do get our fair share of it though. Sometimes a little too much! LOL I imagine it is beautiful with you living in the desert after it rains and the flowers bloom. :) Thanks for stopping by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny - One day a couple of weeks ago we got over 6 inches in one evening. Woke up to rivers everywhere! Including through the house. Yikes! We moved to the coast from the Central High Desert of Oregon. Where a rain storm would blast through quickly soaking the ground. What a marvel it would be. Lord Send the Rain was one of my favorite songs. Here, it sounds a bit different. I almost don't like singing that part in Worship. . . . ha. We sure get an outpouring! Thankful for the Green, for the wonderful soft winter, for already flowering plants and the bajillion bugs that didn't die off this winter, but have provided fun for the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful post! That photo of the black umbrella up close is very pretty. I had to chuckle over your thanks for two days in a row of rain! In our area it would be a thankful worthy post for two days in a row without rain (especially during the winter months). LOL! How amazingly varied God's creation is! And, I agree...how amazing HIS Love toward us as HIS children ~ I am eternally grateful that HE rescued me too!

    Many blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is so very grateful for all of our sunny days!!! I'm sure if it was gray and rainy often, I'd be very thankful for the times that it is not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happened by here after I saw you hit the like button after my comment on Colossians in a Year on Facebook. I loved seeing your gratitude listings here. Wow, you are in the 600's. I am near 30 with mine. I can't seem to get Ann's Multitudes on Mondays blog graphic to show up on my blog so I am not linked, but I am thankful. It was good to visit you today in cyberspace. I hope we bump into one another again. Thanks for your encouragement. I wish I had had your wisdom when my boys were the age your boys are now. They are blessed.

    ReplyDelete