Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hello Reading, Goodbye Ice Cream


We've been doing a whole lot of this...  It is nice not being the only reader around here...  This has been a month of reading lots and lots of books!


Our little Greta has been having a rough couple of weeks.  But sometimes, she will conk out and we sneak in some Bible memory work and other things.  Her tummy seems to be bothering her and given the prevalence of dairy sensitivity in the early months plus our family history (my two sisters with dairy intolerance and Rich's dairy allergy as a baby), I've gone dairy free to see if that resolves things and makes her happier when awake and have more restful (quiet) sleep.  So far things are looking better and I'm surviving the whole 'no-dairy' thing.  I'm a total ice cream fanatic, so that has been the hardest part so far.  Thankfully, when the chocolate ice cream obsession hits in full-force, I've satisfied it with a few bites of coconut milk chocolate ice cream...


Despite her frequent crying, the boys are still very much in love with their baby sister.
Doesn't she look so sweet???  I need to remember these moments when the crazies kick in at night.

Since we've been doing so much reading, I think I'm going to be sharing my thoughts on the importance of reading aloud over the next few posts!  Yes, it's about time that I return to semi-regular posting... 

8 comments:

  1. Both my kids were allergic to milk but they outgrew it which can happen when you get older. When they started formula they went from soy to powdered then 1/2%. It was the fat in the milk that they were allergic to. When I was in the hospital with Rich, they brought him to me the first morning. They had fed him formula during the night because my milk wasn't in. The doctor had placed a NO formula on the front of his chart. I was furious -- reported the whole night shift. Poor Greta! Wish I was closer. Love you all, MiMa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Wish I had some words of wisdom. I had a colicky one who nursed (and bottle fed in desperation) by gulping furiously and taking in a lot of air. The clinic helped a little but it was definitely something she had to outgrow. In the meantime, we were quite weary but thankfully, being the third child, I just relished in her babyness and enjoyed her anyway. Poor little thing.

    This too shall pass! :)
    Praying for your peace and sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all three of my kids had tummy problems. I'm sorry! It is NOT easy!

    I went off of milk but also think that a big thing that helped was having them in a semireclined or upright position for 30 min after a feeding. This means a front pack, sling, baby papasan, bouncy seat, or stroller, etc.
    May be good to listen to see if you can hear anything coming up in her throat ever, which would be reflux- that is often dairy related.

    We'll all be patient, even if you can't return to semi regular posting! You have 4 littles to teach and train and care for. Blogs are waaaay down on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mima, I forgot that Rich was allergic to milk when he was a baby... like father, like daughter I guess.

    Heather, It is always good to hear from the other side. I need reminders that this is just a small season.

    Sarah, thanks for the tip. I might need to experiment with that at night. She is still fussiest in the middle of the night. But of course that's when I want to just nurse her and have her go right back to sleep.

    The fact that this post went up is a total testimony that she's feeling better. Evenings are my only time to blog. And last night was peaceful... Daytimes are just WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY too busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo of Greta sleeping on the floor surrounded by reading brothers is so what home school looks like!

    I had to forego dairy also but it is so worth it to make happier babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it is reflux, you need to keep her on her left side to sleep. When are on your right side, the fluids rest on that side of your stomach which is also where the esophagus is so it will back up into the esophagus. Love, MiMa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor thing. Kenneth cried nonstop until I eliminated dairy and put him on Zantac. He still suffers from reflux to this day :-( The no dairy/soy and zantac changed him into a different baby! I also put him on his tummy to sleep :-X but I felt ok about it with the angelcare monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I love the superman costume in your first pic. We often do school in costume...

    ReplyDelete