Sunday, November 11, 2012

Adventures in Eating!



Being a homeschool family has its perks.  For one, people know you are a bit odd and will be thrilled with an unusual gift such as this fresh EMU egg!!!

So what do you do when you receive a beauty like this?  Well naturally, we all inspect it, shake it and then make plans to EAT it!  Thankfully, we live in the age of the internet and a quick search on youtube turned up some videos of how others have done this.  Once my husband saw the option of using a drill, we knew we had found our preferred method.   I mean, what guy can resist the pull of power tools?

Drilling two holes in our THICK shell was the easy part.  Next came the manual labor.  We had to scramble the yolk and then blow it out!  In case any of you were wondering, the egg white was considerably thicker than a chicken egg.  It took both of us taking turns and blowing to get the equivalent of 10-12 chicken eggs out of the shell.


While everyone was pretty pleased with this grand adventure, I'm sure I was the happiest of all. Due to Greta's reaction to egg whites, it has been over 7 months since I ate my last egg, which is a considerable amount of time for this several times a week egg eating girl. I'm sure you can imagine my glee when I received word that she could handle the proteins in the emu egg whites!!!! 

Sure enough, she did not react.  Woot.  Although she was quite put out that our focus was riveted on the egg blowing process and not on her. 


What's the craziest thing you've eaten?  I think rattlesnake would top my list, although this comes in a close second...

7 comments:

  1. Craziest thing eaten today would be the marrow out of some huge beef bones I stocked this weekend (blended into soup--can't eat that stuff straight tho I fed it to my toddlers that way! It's like beef pudding...ew. But extremely good for you!)

    Weirdest thing ever would probably be dog and eel in China or sheep intestine in Scotland (their National dish). Didn't know what in the world we were being served in China--they usually told us when we were done (good thing or I may have starved!)

    We're working on fermenting vegetables right now...kind of creepy to be eating live foods, but the good bacteria is needed in our guts so we're trying to get more in. Nourishing Traditions and Wild Fermentation are our main cookbooks rights now--lots of crazy recipes in there (BRAIN?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, Wow is all I can say. I've made beef broth and must say that I found the marrow pretty revolting looking. I hadn't read about blending it and adding it to soups. hmmm.

    Dog. yuk. Yup, it was a good thing you didn't know what you were eating. There is a mexican food chain here that was in the news years ago because they found dead cats in their meat freezer. I haven't been able to eat there since then...

    I've done kefir, but never anything else fermented. I'm curious and will pretend that I didn't just read "brain."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you've made me post. Don't make me hide your Blendtec...just say no to marrow!

    And like I've said all along, if it was cat that I was eating, it was very good...which means we need to eat more cat!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh, proof that my dear husband does read my blog from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. an emu egg?? you guys didn't try to hatch it?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol. If it was fertilized, I would have definitely tried to hatch it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! Did it taste like a chicken egg??

    ReplyDelete