Friday, January 19, 2007

Learning Day

Discovery! I love learning and discovering new things. Now I have the privilege of watching Alexander begin the same life-long pursuit. Not much tops watching his face light up as he uncovers some new piece of information or masters a new concept!

Alexander, along with two of his friends, Caden and “the other” Xander started what we are calling “Learning Day” last week. Each Friday we get together and one mom coordinates the morning’s activities.

Last week was the maiden voyage. It was held at my house and we learned about the weather. Since they are still only 2, attention spans were quite short, but we had fun. One of my highlights was taking the boys outside after reading a book about clouds. I handed each boy a cloud (cottonball) we talked about clouds. Then I told them (in a hugely oversimplified way) that when the clouds fill up with water they get heavy and it rains. We then proceeded to fill up our clouds with water, talk about how heavy they were and then make rain! The weather outside that day was cold, windy and raining, so it worked out perfectly. When Xander woke up from his nap that afternoon, we went outside to play in the rain. He immediately pointed to the sky and jabbered about the clouds and rain. He then turned to me and in a serious voice said, “Clouds - HEAVY, raining”. Ahhh yes! He gets it!


Here Erin and Chris are helping Caden and Xander add clouds to their rainbow paintings.


The boys showing off their masterpieces!


We didn't have time to get to this activity that morning, so Xander and I put this together after his nap. It's a weather chart where we update can update what the weather is like each day.

I forgot my camera today when we learned about spiders and ladybugs, but hopefully I’ll get some soon from Erin so I can share them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment