Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Glad I Checked...


Rich ran up to the library tonight, while I made dinner (taking Little Bit with him!) and brought back two books I had requested. I am so thankful for libraries. They give me a chance to oftentimes either save on the cost of buying books new or save from buying something that I really don’t want. Today was an excellent example.

I love the photography by Lennart Nilsson. He has the most gorgeous pictures of babies in the womb. So since Alexander is old enough to really realize what is going on, I wanted to get a book with beautiful pictures and start explaining in more detail about the new little baby that is growing inside me. I almost bid on Nilsson's book, A Child Is Born, on ebay, but decided to check my library first. And boy am I glad I did. While having many of Nilsson’s beautiful pictures, it is WAY to graphic for even my tastes, much less for my children’s with an unnecessary section on how babies are made - including pictures. It was definitely not appropriate for children (or anyone else for that matter).

In addition to requesting that book, I saw another title that intrigued me, How Did God Make Me? I can't wait to read this delightful book to Alexander in the morning. It is perfect for helping a young child relate to what it is like in the womb and accompanied by Nilsson's beautiful photographs. It is PERFECT! Based on how he reacts, I think this will probably be added to the wishlist to make a permanent addition to our home library! Thank you public library!!!
If I decide that I really want to have more of Nilsson's photographs, I think I might invest in the coffee table style book, LIFE. From what I gather, it focuses solely on the photography and skips the "pre-conception" stuff!
ETA: Xander loved the book. We've read it about 5 times already and it isn't even 8am yet...

2 comments:

  1. how funny I was at the libary last night too picking up some books I had on hold. I love that place! Trevor gets train books, of course, Taylor gets books that she can read and I get mommy books :-)

    Those books look neat! Wish I had thought of that with Taylor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having books on hold is a life saver for mom's of young kids. I LOVE going and just picking up my stack!

    She might still like the book. It is actually a mom talking to her son about how HE was made which would make it perfect for any age.

    Also, if you haven't tried story time (plus finger plays and songs), Trevor might really like it. I love the librarian who does story time at the library close to your house. He's great with the kids!

    ReplyDelete