Saturday, September 1, 2007

Dad

Last Sunday was Dad’s birthday. I’m blessed because not only is he an awesome dad, but he’s been an incredible example to me of what it means to humbly and wholeheartedly follow Christ.

No one has faith like my Dad does. I remember asking my mom a couple of months ago how he can still have such strong faith for God’s miraculous work even when things don’t turn out like he thought. She told me that his faith is built when he reads of God’s faithfulness to His people in scripture. Seems a little “duh”, but sometimes, I just gloss over and I’m not awed at examples of God meeting needs in supernatural ways.

My dad’s faith is built in this way because he spends consistent time EVERY day with God. Seeing him with his Bible and in prayer every day was normal in our home. Even when we would go on vacation, he would grab a chair (if we were camping) and head just a bit out of camp and settle down to spend time with God. I see the fruit in his life and know that time spent with Jesus has a profound affect on him.

I remember several times over the years where my dad would feel bad that we didn’t have “regular” family devotions. But I think he provided something of far greater value to us. He and my mom, showed by example how to integrate their faith into everyday life. It was not uncommon for one of them to bring up what God was teaching them in the Bible during a meal and they ALWAYS put aside whatever they were doing if we had any spiritual questions – even late at night! He’s always had a knack for getting thru the emotionalism that can sometimes rule us as women and get to the heart of the issue in a rational, God-honoring way.

As a homeschool family, my mom had the role of primary teacher. Dad, however, took on the role of “principal.” Whenever mom had discipline issues, she would always call Dad at work, explain the situation and then have the offending child (most often me) talk with him. I don’t remember my dad ever yelling at me or losing his temper. But we could tell by his voice that he was grieved that we were rebelling in x way against my mom (and God). None of us could remain hard-hearted after talking to Dad. His Christ-like reaction to our sin (being seriously grieved by it, not condoning it in anyway, but expressing his love for us all the same), would completely undue us and full repentance would usually quickly commence.

Not only was he instrumental in each of his three daughter’s lives, but he’s also played an active mentoring role in the lives of many young men. Young men have always been drawn to my dad. I remember a neighborhood boy – about 5th or 6th grade, coming over just to hang out with my Dad. He would follow Dad around, asking him questions and helping with things around the house. (For the record, he was NOT interested in any of us girls) From when I was quite young up thru today, he has always had guys (many of whom have little to no relationship with the three of us) who he regularly meets with, golf’s with, etc… In each of these relationships, he is always carefully seeking God’s direction in how to bless their lives. I’m excited that my boys will be the rich recipients of such a special relationship with their Opa!

I could go on and on, but for the sake of space I will stop. Happy Birthday, Dad! Thanks for being who God has called you to be and for always being there for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment