Monday, November 26, 2007

The magic of books!


There has been a lot of reading going on at the our home of late. We've always loved reading, but personal reading has sometimes been more in the category of wishful thinking, than as avidly pursued as I'd like to admit. More couch time has produced the opportunity to get thru more of my desired reading list (most recently finishing Hidden Art and Pride and Prejudice!)and has also provided opportunity to read even more delightful books to my boys.

Keegan is obsessed with books right now. He's just beginning to tolerate us actually reading to him as he usually prefers to turn the pages and babble about what he is looking at. :)

So I was honored to be tagged by my friend, Tara, to list my 7 favorite children's books.

Obviously since my kiddos are still very young, most of my books are in the simple/board book categories...

Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Good Night Moon - a true classic. This was my favorite book as a toddler, and it has proved to be quite the favorite for my boys, especially when they are in that 15m-2 year age. Thankfully, it comes in boardbook format, which is helpful at this age. I can "read" it with my eyes closed!
Runaway Bunny - a little bit more complicated of a storyline, but such a precious story. I love this book so much, it inspired how we chose to decorate the nursery! Xander loves to "find" the baby bunny as he takes different forms throughout the book just as I once did. As a mom now, I appreciate this book all the more.
Where the Wild Things Are - Another childhood favorite of mine that has been transferred to my son. And like the Runaway Bunny, a parents perspective is a special treat now.
Barnyard Dance - We have grown to love many Sandra Boynton books, but this is my all-time favorite! It is very lyrical and funny. It has produced many giggles and imitating of various farm animals over the last 2 years! I can quote the entire book for you. Really.
Chugga-Chugga, Choo-Choo - like Barnyard Dance, this was a library find, that after hoarding for several months (I love online renewals), we finally decided to buy. The pictures of the little boy's toys put to use as surroundings for his train are awesome. I can't wait to see that kind of creativity continue to unfold in my boys.
Where is My Mommy - Xander loves this one. He frequently "reads" this to his little brother for as long as Keegan will tolerate.
I'd Be Your Hero - This delightful book is the conversation between a boy and his mother. He describes his imaginary world where he'd be his mother's hero and she encourages him as he exhibits Godly character. I love the scripture verses that are included. It's been a special book that Xander and I read together.
Wild Animal Baby - ok, so this isn't a book, but my boys have LOVED this magazine designed for kids 12months-4 years of age. Xander loves getting mail and a chance to "read" his own magazine. I love keeping one or two handy in the diaperbag for when we are stuck at the dr's office, etc. Thanks Mima for such a wonderful gift!

I'd like to tag my friend Jess and the Millers (you guys don't have a baby out of the oven yet, but I know both of you were avid childhood readers!!!)

4 comments:

  1. Great books. I am so glad that they enjoy reading. Needless to say they will be getting some new ones soon. By the way when does Baby Animals expire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather!! I love "Goodnight Moon" too! In fact, when Evie and I were in Paris I found it in French and bought it! (With the hope of introducing our children to French someday through a beloved classic!!) :) I hope you're doing well. Happy late Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you read Pride and Prejudice! It is one of my absolute favorites! In fact, it is my favorite book. I hope you loved it!

    Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mima - I'll check on Animal Baby.
    Rachel - Goodnight Moon in French! I can't imagine a better introduction! If I ever find a Spanish version, maybe I'll pick it up! :) And I am doing well. Thanks for asking! Looks like we're keeping this baby where he/she needs to be!
    Jess - The book exceeded my expectations. I adore the BBC version and found that it closely correlated to the book. I loved the way the book ended infinitely more though! I can't believe I put off reading such a wonderful book for so long...

    ReplyDelete