Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Supermom no more...

A mom of many recently told me that she thought going from one to two children was the hardest of all because she came to the realization that she wasn't supermom. I remember looking at her thinking, “It goes away? I still have supermom moments.”

I love these moments. I get bursts of energy and excitedly pursue my mothering with a vengeance. Those are the times when I get a lot of planning done (ahh the visionary in me), host playgroups, invite friends over, try to organize my home or do lots of messy art projects and fun outings with the boys. Of course, the energy wanes as being a mom is an unpredictable and sometimes taxing job and so the energy simply runs out and I slow down to refuel.

Sadly, I’m having to temper my supermom impulses. My body just won’t let me go at the pace that I’m accustomed too. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been having lots of contractions lately and several episodes that were a bit worrisome as the contractions were coming 3-5 minutes apart and at the time I was only 21 weeks along. Thankfully, the contractions aren’t actually doing anything, so my midwife has only asked me to limit my activity level. When she first told me this, I was relieved that it wasn’t bedrest, but after she laid out what I couldn’t do, it started to sound closer and closer to just that. At this time, I’m not supposed to lift or carry Keegan at all, no housework, laundry, climbing stairs, grocery shopping, or unnecessary driving. (Happily for all of us, I can still cook!) That list pretty much stops me from doing most of my job description as a mom and manager of my home.

It has been humbling to say the least. I never realized how difficult it is for me to ask for help, especially when as long as I’m following the midwives orders and laying down periodically I feel just fine. I feel lazy. But I’m learning -learning to ask for help in seemingly silly things (“Hi, Rich is gone, would you mind coming over to go upstairs and get Keegan up from his nap?”), accepting the fact that people will be coming over to the house when it isn’t “company ready,” having to say no to really fun things and just holding all commitments lightly.

Not holding Keegan has been one of the hardest parts. Keegan is such a cuddle bug – as long as one is up and walking around. He’s become quite the daddy’s boy, both in loving to wrestle with him, but also for the all important cuddle time. And he now calls for Oma when he wakes up from his naps.

With trial comes growth. Being forced to slow down has really strengthened my time in the Word and in talking to God. It has been truly sweet. I’m also reading more which I’ve been wanting to do for a while. (I’ll take any good book recommendations!!!) My internet addiction has been curbed as well. Having only one or two trips up the stairs a day has severely limited the time I get to spend on the computer.

While my midwife is quite confident that I will have no problem going to term, I would still appreciate your prayers – obviously for the safety of this little one and a long/complete pregnancy, for Rich as his workload has increased and for me that I would be content where I'm at and yet also creative in still fulfilling my role as a wife, mom and manager of my home despite the current restrictions.

3 comments:

  1. I wish that was closer so that I could help, but am thankful that Rich, your mom & church friends can help. Just take care of yourself & that little bundle of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for you Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for you sister, especially that the Lord grows you in humility as you let other people serve you.

    ReplyDelete