Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent Reading


As you all know I LOVE COUNTDOWNS! So for our Christmas countdown this year, I collected all of my Christmas books and snagged a bunch of great one's from the library and wrapped up one to be opened up each night before bed! It wasn't the easiest thing in the world to gather enough books and make sure that I could keep them long enough before they had to go back to the library. Maybe next year, I'll do a 12 days of Christmas book thing. The boys love taking turns opening a book each evening and reading it. [Correction: they don't like the taking turns part, but are getting used to it.]


Tonight, we unwrapped one of my childhood favorites: Santa, Are you for Real? (Of course, only the original 1970's artwork will do! I had to find my copy on ebay!) Although we don't plan on celebrating the Santa Claus part of Christmas, it permeates our society. I want our boys to know the real story of St. Nicholas and also to be sensitive to other families who are doing Santa Claus.

Xander, being dad's grandson, interrupted the story to inform me that Nicholas was a golfer. It took a bit of explaining to get him to understand that St. Nicholas and Jack Nicklaus (the golfer) were in fact two different people.

His follow-up question: "Does Nicklaus (the golfer) love Jesus too?"

4 comments:

  1. Dad should be proud of his influence on Xander; I mean, what average 4 year old knows who Jack Nicklaus is?

    I love your idea of advent books. I can't wait to use that idea once my little people are old enough to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another neat idea! You should write a countdown book!

    Are the boys going to be ok returning their "presents" to the library?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, sadly yes. Infact, I was not able to keep all of them thru Christmas, so the one's that have due dates are marked on the back with the date's they are due, so we can unwrap them intime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have you post a list of some of your favorite Christmas books!

    ReplyDelete