Saturday, November 28, 2009

For Grown-up's

I love picture books.  There is something about beautiful or creative illustrations and a fanciful story that just has me hooked. 

Today we read one that was a hoot.  It mostly went over Xander's head, but he enjoyed it as well.  I couldn't help but think of my mom and her love of art when I read it!


When Pigasso Met Mootisse is a parody of the relationship between the great modern artists Picasso and Matisse.  The puns were hilarious and Nina Laden's artistic interpretations of some of their famous paintings were hilarious.  It proved to be a great lesson in appreciating differences in personality and taste when it comes to artistic expression.

From one of our favorite pages:
Mootisse called Pigasso an "Art Hog." Then Pigasso called Mootisse a "Mad Cow."

Mootisse quipped, "You paint like a two year old." Pigasso retorted, "You paint like a wild beast."

Mootisse raged, "Your colors look like mud."  Pigasso spat, "Your paintings look like color-by-numbers!"

Then things got really out of hand...
Xander liked it because paint was flying everywhere in the illustration!

So thankful for what I find in my random library catalog searches!  We will definitely be checking this out again when we study art history!  I can totally see the boys wanting to do their own Picasso or Matisse renditions in a few years after reading this book...

Makes me curious to try another book of hers: Romeow and Drooliet.

No comments:

Post a Comment