Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Current Reads

So many books and so little time.  I'm finding that I need to be a little more intentional to actually sit down and read some of the many books that have recently peaked my curiosity.

As you can see, the list is long and ecclectic...

The Beautiful Fight: Surrendering to the Transforming Presence of  God Every Day of Your Life
It has now been re-released under the new title: Holy Available: What If Holiness Is about More Than What We Don't Do?.  I'm embarassed to say that I've been working my way through this book for a while.  It is absolutely incredible.  I find myself pausing to reflect with each page I read which is part of the reason it's taken me so long to read it...

He talks about what he has termed, "incarnational spirituality" and defines it as:
"the living, reigning, and ascended Jesus living through us and transforming us into different people ~ [this] does not exist to uphold a few rules but rather speaks of a process that creates an entirely new person who sees with new eyes, feels with a new heart, hears with renewed ears, and lives with a new passion."
Good stuff.
Parenting in the Pew: Guiding your Children Into the Joy of Worship.
The title intrigued me.  She urges us as parents to have our "hearts fixed on being with our children before the Lord."  I'm interested to read what she has to say...

The Art of Mingling
This book just makes me laugh.  Of course, I'm reading it because I am in a season where I am having to move outside of my comfort zone and meet new people.  I like to think that I used to be good at this once upon a time...  But one thing is sure, I'm not so great at 'mingling' right now.  It takes great effort to get my mind off of kids, diapers, etc and actually be able to have a coherent, interesting conversation with someone I don't know very well.

Don't Drink Your Milk
I recently went to a talk on pregnancy nutrition (no, I'm not pregnant) presented by my sister's chiropractor.  He mentioned problems with milk consumption and recommends staying away from it.  This was news to me.  Our family drinks A LOT of milk, but I've had some suspicians that younger two boys might be having some issues from milk consumption.  I'm reading this book as a starting point, before I do more internet research.  (Just a small way that I'm trying to cut down on my accursed screen-time.)  I've reduced the boys milk consumption and after what I've read, my craving for milk has gone away...

Thankfully, not all of my reading is of the non-fiction variety...

Cheaper by the Dozen
With Xander's roll in the play last fall, came a fascination with the story, so a friend of mine lent me the book.  It is hilarious and I find it interesting to compare how it stacks up to the play, the old movie and the new movie... 

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
This is our new family read-aloud.  The illustrations by Helen Oxenbury are beautiful and boys are excited that there are so many.  I don't remember reading this when I was a girl, but I probably did.  Either way, I'm intrigued to read it now! 


And last, but certainly not least, especially since I'm the most faithful with this, is my Bible study.

My Bible study group is doing a Precept study on the book of Daniel this semester and next.   I love the inductive Bible study method that Precept Ministries uses.  I enjoy discovering God's truth for myself rather than relying more heavily on simply how other people interpret the Bible.  It is so nice to have accountability.  It keeps me in the Word daily and just blown away as the Holy Spirit makes it come alive!  The diverse group of women in my study have become so precious to me.

I'd love to hear what you are reading right now!  I'm always looking for new titles to go in the queue!

1 comment: