Thursday, September 2, 2010

Down Time

This last week, my family escaped up north and spent lovely relaxing week away from our cell phones and computers. I don't watch TV (except for an occasional movie), but I'm pretty addicted to my phone and my computer, so this was a much needed break.
It was fun to actually be outside A.L.L. D.A.Y. L.O.N.G!!!!! After being a little home bound because of the heat, it was a welcome break to get to breath fresh, cool air and play in the great outdoors.  We all needed the downtime and despite being in the same cabin, all approached it a little differently!

An interesting article came out in the New York Times concerning recent research on the importance of downtime for adults as well as kids.

It is a well known fact that kids need downtime. Free play allows their minds to synthesize and process what they are learning about. Without this downtime kids are merely getting a lot of sensory input, but making very few meaningful and lasting connections. This was a key point that I brought up in our talk on Cultivating Curiosity at the AZ Homeschool Convention this summer.

We need it too!  Why?

Embracing quiet moments helps us to:
  • unwind
  • release stress
  • internalize and remember what we've learned
  • work through solutions  (Have any of you ever worked on a problem right before bed, only to wake up knowing how to solve it???)
  • increased ability to listen - both to God and those around us!
I find it interesting that we really aren't that different from our kids in our need to slow down and process experiences.

The technology makes the tiniest windows of time entertaining, and potentially productive. But scientists point to an unanticipated side effect: when people keep their brains busy with digital input, they are forfeiting downtime that could allow them to better learn and remember information, or come up with new ideas.
Apparently, taking some moments here and there to just be quiet isn't such a waste of time after all!

So what are some ways that we can reduce sensory overload and grant ourselves some precious downtime:
  • Get outside! With the kids and without them, time walking outdoors without your ipod or phone can work wonders!
  • Just take a few moments to lay on your back and stare up at the sky!
  • Exercise [outside] and give yourself time to allow your mind to wander. Leave the ipod at home!
  • Put a puzzle together.
  • Take a relaxing bath
  • Read a 'fun' book. My sister has to help me out with this one, because I'm usually reaching for a scientific/research/educational book. She is so good about making me pick up a novel!
  • Blow bubbles. It works for grown-ups too! This was my top stress buster when I was in college. It also helped when my children were learning to sleep and when I'm just having a hectic mommy day. Stepping outside and methodically blowing bubbles is awesome!
  • Strategically grab small snatches of alone time. Even if it's 5 minutes in the bathroom.
  • Sleep. We really do need it.
  • Taking a short moment to stop and pray -focusing on the listening part! Remember, prayer is a conversation. Sometimes you talk and sometimes you just sit back and listen...  When I do this, usually the whole tone of my day changes.  Talk about instant clarity!
What helps you unwind? What do you do to rest your mind and quiet your soul?

I never want to be the kind of parent who always says (or implies), "Do as I say, not as I do."  If I want my kids to really internalize something, I need to first be willing to model it.  This is not easy for me since it is easy to limit their screen time while spending way too much in front of my screen of choice (computer).

1 comment:

  1. Walking always helps me to unwind and quiet my soul!

    ~Danielle

    ReplyDelete