Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First Lessons

It's been a season of learning obedience in our home - most specifically with our 2.5 year old.  Opportunity to learn obedience arise at every, single nap and bed time.  His smiling face emerges from his room - full of giggles, sure that we will make an exception and allow him to forgo a nap or bedtime, just this once.  I am amazed at how adamant he is about this.  I sat in my oldest's room for one nap and one bedtime before he quickly learned that when we put him in bed, he was to stay put.  The second one took a little over a week of consistently sitting outside his room to insure that he stayed in bed.  All-in-all, relatively painless.


And then there was Trey.  It's been almost 2 months and we still have to be vigilant.

He continues to test us in other areas as well.  He is trying to figure out if we will be flexible on who's in charge.  What this strong-willed little boy does not realize is that he had to get that will from somewhere...  I love him far too much to let him head down this path.

With this season of learning in full swing, I'm reminded of what my mom used to remind parents about all the time:

You can't teach what you can't control. 

If you, as the parent, aren't in charge and if your children don't respect and respond to your authority it will be impossible to homeschool them.  

I was so thankful to come across this wonderful post that served as an excellent reminder and pep talk to lovingly stay true to this very important first homeschool lesson.
Diane from Heart to Heart starts out by saying:
The very first lesson in homeschool is not how to write your name or recognize your ABC’s.  The very first lesson is obedience, because without it, no other lesson works very well... 
If you have young children, I encourage you to read the rest of her article.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my - sounds like my third. I thought we weren't going to make it through her being 2! But now she's 3, almost 4. And I can finally see the fruits of ALL THAT hard work. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thanks for the reminder. Two is for sure the hardest age in this area. My second, while still strong-willed, is delightful now at 4. I love that he is strong in his convictions, but that he respects our authority as his parents.

    My prayer for all of my children is that they would be strong in conviction, but yielding to the Lord and as children to us as their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, do you have any further reading on this topic? Books or trusted authors? India is 1 and is already the most determined stubborn little thing I have ever encountered. Must nip this in the bud pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,

    I have found it so beneficial to seek wisdom from a multitude of resources that don't all necessarily agree with one another completely.

    I love Charlotte Mason's philosophy on the importance of training in character. She views these early years as key in laying down the rails for a smooth path later on.

    I have read Dr. Dobson's 'Dare to Discipline', Ginger Plowman's 'Don't Make Me Count to Three', 'Shepherding a Child's Heart', 'Don't Make me Angry', Laying Down the Rails (a book of Charlotte Mason quotes on setting up habits).

    I also think it is very important to understand your child's bent as well as your own. We all tend to one extreme or another. Mine is probably one of being too lax.

    You are at the perfect stage to start reading various books and figuring out what the right balance is for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Heather. I have been picking the brains of wise adults all week and have found simple consistency to be very, very powerful. I appreciate your encouragement (I started feeling we were already too late!) and your suggestions. Grateful for your blog!

    ReplyDelete