Thursday, October 7, 2010

Learning in Layers

I've been thinking a lot lately about how learning occurs in layers.  As each layer is placed down, it enriches and enables the next layer to be added.

Layers is the whole reason why we embarked this summer on our study of world geography.  As we studied Native Americans and frontiersmen this last spring, I noticed that Xander was finding it difficult to relate to maps, regions and the concept of travel.  So we decided to lay down a layer of world geography and map awareness.  It's been awesome.

Another layer that we've been exploring is our own bodies!  In an impromptu kind of way!
The boys received this puzzle as a gift. 
It is 5 puzzles in one, that is put together... in layers!  Of course, this makes it too complicated for Treyton (2.5) to figure out.   But Keegan (4) and Xander (6) are loving it and we've been able to talk about the different layers in our bodies!  There is a girl version of this puzzle too!  It looks like they used my niece as the model! :)  I also love the implicit pro-life message in the 'Mother Body' puzzle. 

We loved the book, Me on the Map, and were inspired to make our own map books.  She's written a whole series of books like this.  Including this one on the human body.  There are so many wonderful directions you could go after reading this book.  We could trace our body outline on butcher paper and then draw in organs, muscles, bones...  I have fond memories of the anatomy apron I did as a kid.  For now, I think we'll just settle for the book and our puzzle!  Keeping it simple...

3 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower. You have some lucky children. Thanks for sharing your resources and learning experiences. I love the picture of your husband reading. A dad's involvement is so important.
    I follow a blog called Layers of Learning you may want to check out. http://www.layers-of-learning.com/
    I have a blog called Beginning Reading Help. http://beginningreadinghelp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved the Me on the Map book. I will have to check out the anatomy one. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will be sure to pop in to yours again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this puzzle too, the girl version. The girls love it! Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete