Monday, November 29, 2010

Growing in Gratitude!

I formally started my online gratitude list last year.  Wow.  I love the habit that it has formed.  When I'm struggling with discontentment, envy, selfishness, exhaustion or whatever the problem of the day is, it is amazing to see what happens when I turn my thoughts to the Lord and then start thanking Him for what He has given me.  Taking time to be mindful of the multitudes of blessing in my life has been such a gift in and of itself.

In my kitchen (where we end up spending most of our day) I've posted this passage:
Rejoice in the Lord always.  Again, I will say rejoice!

Let your gentleness be known to all men.  The Lord is at hand.                                   
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.              (Philippians 4:4-7)
Emotions are so fickle and I've found this passage to be so helpful no matter what I'm going through.  In all things, at all times, I'm called to rejoice, pray and give thanks!

So I take time once again to type out a few of the many gifts that surround me as I sit in the midst of half-unpacked suitcases and a pile of laundry ready to be put in to wash!

Joining others at A Holy Experience as we record our lists of gratitude.
501. smooth, uneventful time in the airport and in the air!

502. boys excited to watch airplanes - even at 5:30 in the morning!
503. time with my husbands family back in St. Louis!
504. romping through dry leaves.
505. the sound of wind rustling through the few leaves remaining on the trees.
506. getting to experience a bit of stereotypical fall that our desert home just doesn't have.
507. getting half the amount of rain Arizona gets in a year in just three days in St. Louis.
508. a foggy evening!
509. a special treat of snow that started to fall while we ate dinner on Thanksgiving Day!
510. football in the snow.
511. catching snow on our tongues (and licking them off leaves).
512. little boys peering out from beneath fun hats!
513. an adorable niece!
514. woods explorations in Mima and Pa's backyard with my fellow nature lover!!!
515. getting to see FOUR different kinds of penguins at the St. Louis zoo. (King, Humboldt, Rock Hopper and Gentoo)  A true treat after learning about them this summer.

516. simple kid pleasures of watching Pa's car get picked up by the tow truck!
517. chasing geese!
518. foot races with my boys!
519. the feeling of cold air being desperately drawn in to warm lungs.
520. making homemade butter.
 521. eating homemade butter.  wow.
522. hand-holding
523. arch exploring.

524. squeezing 8 of us inside metal 50's sci-fi reminiscent pods made to huddle 5 for a memorable trip to the top of the St. Louis Arch!
525. getting to hang out with my husbands childhood best friend and his wife.
526. enjoying being with his wife just as much as my husband likes being with his friend.
527. home sweet home.

6 comments:

  1. I love this list! It makes me want to go on a trip. I love hearing about your desert life since we have the "typical fall" and snow right now too :) I love summer and throwing a sundress over the girls and wearing flip-flops, but I do appreciate the fact that we get a good helping of every season.
    As always, I love your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list was so insightful! It was just being Thankful for all the everyday wonders that are given to us that we often take for granted. I am in Texas and I love our weather. Today I was in the grocery store in short sleeves and tomorrow it is going to be in the 20's. Stop by and visit, leave a comment and you will be entered in our giveaway(Model Magic). :) joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, yes it is so easy to overlook the simple everyday gifts that make our lives so rich. I've found that the more I take note, the more I appreciate them and see them instead of focusing on the less than steller moments of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, yes it is so easy to overlook the simple everyday gifts that make our lives so rich. I've found that the more I take note, the more I appreciate them and see them instead of focusing on the less than steller moments of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwhhh Heather! We loved being with the both of you. Just wish we could do it more often!

    ReplyDelete