Thursday, December 9, 2010

By Candlelight...

Rich is delayed because of unusually dense evening traffic.  I'm pulling together a simple dinner. 

My usual tactic is to send the boys outdoors while I'm cooking, but with the later hour it is too dark for that...

It is certainly not always this way (they call this the arsenic hour for a reason), but my children are quietly at work, drawing. {Caveat: The two year old is still running laps around the kitchen.  Sickness doesn't slow him down much.  But at least he's doing it quietly and no one is there to throw in a tackle or two which inevitably ends in tears at some point...)

Candlelight appears to have a soothing and mesmorizing effect on them.
I feel so blessed to have discovered this drawing book at the library.  The boys love 'how to' drawing books.  It is a perfect addition for our candelit evenings as we seek to slow the pace down a bit and reflect.


What do you like to do by candlelight?

4 comments:

  1. So sweet! Heather did someone make you the advent candle circle with horse/donkey rider? That is lovely! If you have a source for it, I'd love to know it. I also adore the nativity drawing book, must look for that one as a resource for future art classes! :)

    Blessings,
    Katie K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    I ordered it from http://adventtolenttoascensionwreath.blogspot.com/.

    It is both an advent countdown as well as a countdown for Easter and the ascension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to sit outside with candlelight and eat dinner. Yes, we live in the desert and can do that some evenings!

    And I love to light candles when the grandchildren are over - so I can see the wonder in their faces and the excitement when they get to blow the candles out. And I am not even worried about wax on the tablecloth. I know I can get the wax and stain out by just pouring boiling water through the cloth, once everyone has gone home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curling up with a good book and reading by candlelight is one of my favorite things to do! :)

    ReplyDelete