Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thankful to be low again...

There are never dull moments when children are around.  But some weeks are more unpredictable than others.  Last week, my youngest woke up on Tuesday morning (3am) with a fever.  He fevered off and on for several days.  He has such a high pain tolerance that he just went from his usual running around like a little madman to quietly playing with toys. 

Really, I had it easy... 

On Thursday afternoon when he started getting glassy-eyed and the fever was above 104 again, I took him in.  No ear infection, no strep, nothing identifiably wrong.

Friday looked promising.  We were headed to zoolights that evening.  His fever was only at 99.5 and I assumed the worst was over as the pediatrician had predicted.  An hour and half later, I found him glassy eyed and looking like death with a fever of 106.9.

Yikes.  We ran him to urgent care and then to the hospital.  Without a clear answer other than a self-admitting color-blind ER doctor thinking maybe an ear infection (after two other doctors had said no in the last 24 hours), we were sent home once the fever came down.  We prayed for him and kept an eye throughout the night.  The fever only inched up to 101 before dropping back down...

God is so good.  And so I continue to count his many gifts to me - during good weeks and one's that are more difficult.
546. Good health care coverage this month.  (Private insurance would have made this a lot more expensive.)
547. His tough personality.  He faced it all like a trooper.
548. Extra cuddle time.
549. A wonderful urgent care doctor who called to follow-up.  A true blessing since we did not receive great care at the hospital.
550. After the worst was over, seeing him flirt anyone and everyone.  Snazzy hospital gown + cowboy boots were a winning combination. 
551. Amazingly quick healing - an obvious gift from the Great Physician who knows and sees what human doctors sometimes cannot.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember those days...and thank God for His sweet grace. He brings us through! You have a beautiful boy! Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your little guy is feeling better. My nephew gets these fevers with no explanation or other symptoms. God is good! Health is not to be taken fro granted. When I lost my job a few years ago we had to move the kids to our state funded health insurance. It's a tough switch, and most of the time I hate it, but it's a blessing to have none the less.

    ReplyDelete