Monday, December 6, 2010

A Way Out

I don't think I could ever tire of Anne of Green Gables.  I saw it in play form last week NINE times and still love it.  I probably love this story so much because growing up in a family of 3 girls, there was plenty of "Anne" types of emotions, imagination and adventures going on between the three of us.

Despite my love for the theater, this play and getting to see my son up on stage enjoying himself, I'm very thankful that we are done.  Now we can catch up on our sleep, slow down and just 'be' for a while...

I had to laugh when I discovered an old journal of mine at my parents home yesterday.  I found it ironic that in light of Xander's play last week, Anne of Green Gables, I would re-read this:
Yes, this was a journal entry from my junior high years...

And yes, I've always been a bit dramatic.  Like the character, Anne, I can go from the depths of despair, to the height of ecstasy and back to despair in a matter of minutes!  Thankfully, age has refined those urges a great deal and at the very least they don't come waltzing out into public very often! ;)

But as I sat and thought about this, I realized that I do still have these thoughts and emotions sometimes.

Bad news, something unexpected, an unmet expectation, a child's temper tantrum and those emotions surge again.

Although I'm not 12 anymore and am usually self-controlled enough to keep them to myself it is still not pleasant.  In fact, it can be downright destructive. 

A sure-fire cure for feeling in the 'depths of despair' can be found in gratitude.  As I thank God for what He has given me - both to have and to do and the work He is doing in and through me, those thoughts of despair are replaced with peace and JOY!   I've always known this, but over this last year as I've consistently looked for His blessings in my life, I've found that those feelings of despair come less frequently and they don't stick around because I immediately turn it over to the Lord.

And so I continue to count...

528. Despair replaced with peace and joy
529. Words written by God and the Spirit's draw to read them.
530. Live theater
531. Getting to play with beautiful red hair and help get 'Rachel Lynn' stage ready!
532. the chance for my little guy to participate in his second play.
533. For friends he's made in the process!
534. Getting to hang out with some really neat junior high and highschoolers.  (Aside from Xander and his friend Emily, the rest of the cast was older.)
535. Getting to witness their friendliness and enthusiasm towards Xander as well as myself.  These kids can interact with anyone, no matter their age.
536. A little boy excited to get roses delivered backstage from his adoring fans, Oma and Opa!
537. A quiet Friday morning to spend walking to the park and just hanging out with my little boys.
538. Friends and family who were so willing to watch the two little one's while I took Xander to his dress rehearsals this week.
539. Sleep.  I certainly needed it after a week filled with 4 dress rehearsals and 5 performances.
540. Peace in the midst of unfortunate news that would usually send me into a panic.  (See, I told you I'm dramatic.  I'm so thankful that He is in the process of changing me!)
541. Getting to hold a new baby today.
542. An email exchange with a friend that got my wheels turning and excited about activities to do with my kids this month!
543. Supernaturally timed answers to prayer!
544. Having my thoughts turned to the mystery and wonder of the Incarnation.
545. The rest of December that is relatively free and unscheduled!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Thankful thoughts. It brought a smile to my face when I saw the words Oma and Opa. I called my Grandparents that and at this time of year is when I think of them the most. I was blessed to have grown up with both sets of my Grandparent within thirty minutes of my home and have many wonderful memories of their love and support in my life. Sounds like your son has this too. Again thamks for sharing, :) joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i too had a very similar journal entry around 1992 as well...anne has always been a treasured friend:).

    your list and your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own the movies (with the "Continuing Story) and have them nearly memorized! What a geek I am :)
    What did Marilla say? "To despair is to turn your back on God." Well, in a way, I suppose it's true... if we're not trusting in His love for us, which means He is working out His best for us, then we're unnecessarily despairing.

    Thanks for sharing! Felt like I was at the play with those great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather, I just knew we were "kindred spirits"... hahahaha...

    Joyce, I love meeting others who have an Oma and Opa. That's what I called my mom's parents and what my mom called her grandparents. My mom was an army brat and born in Germany.

    Kimberly, It sounds like melodrama might have been common in those junior high years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a fun post! I *love* Anne too!! How funny that you wrote her exact words into your diary when you were young...and how interesting that you read them again during the week of your boy's participation in the play. Sweet photos!

    I enjoyed reading your gratitude list...isn't it wonderful counting these thanks? Makes them more precious somehow. I especially liked the "holding a new baby"...oh how lovely that is!! :)

    Blessings to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this reminds me of my own diary entries! So full of drama!Gratitude sure helps keep things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this lovely, gratitude-filled post! We love Anne too, and are also learning the lessons you describe so well about choosing to think on good things. Imagine you referring to Jan. 1992 and I just posted a picture of our home school from that very month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a lot like Anne of Green Gables, too. I've recently been in the depths of despair (still there really because our trial isn't over yet), but then I know people are praying for me, because there is sometimes a supernatural peace and joy in the midst of pain. And, oh, yes, I'm also a red-head.

    ReplyDelete