Monday, August 1, 2011

A Rebirth-day Milestone

Last week marked a milestone - 30 years since I became a child of God. It’s been 30 years since the day when in the midst of build-up for my physical birth-day, my mom read me this book.


The King’s Invitation relays the parable Jesus told about a king who sent out invitations to his son’s wedding feast (found in Matt 22:1-14). The important people didn’t want to come, so the King opened up the invitation to everyone. He provided wedding clothes and invited them to a feast. Even at that young age, I was able to comprehend this beautiful picture of life with God. God opened up my heart and I responded to His call!

30 years in His family.

30 years as His child.

30 years of sweet fellowship.

Indescribable…

And yet, I always feel compelled to try. As I look back it is just beautiful to see how God made Himself real to me through the different stages in my life. I’m thankful that my parents introduced me to Him, even at that young age.  I'm thankful that they didn't think I was 'too young' to have a real relationship with the Lord.

But Jesus called them to him, saying,
"Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.” 
Luke 18:16

And I’m praying for my own children. One has made that step of faith and we are praying for our other children, planting seeds and watching for God’s perfect timing in reaching each of them.

What a glorious privilege we have as parents to introduce our children to our heavenly Father and then disciple them and help them to grow closer to the One who gives us life, hope and meaning.

So I continue counting His many gifts to me as I make my way to 1,000!



816. Memories of quiet conversations with God at night before drifting off to sleep and waking to joy that I just knew came from Him in the morning as a child.

817. Memories of the Spirit's whispers to my soul and hungering for more of Him these many years…

818. The fact that I really don’t remember life before Jesus became the center of it.

819. Looking back and seeing how my understanding of and trust in the Lord has grown and changed over the years.

820. Time spent in I John celebrating and contemplating how God brings us into His family and makes us His children.

821. Parents who not only introduced me to Jesus, but faithfully encouraged and taught me to pursue him in every aspect of my life.

822. Grace and a new opportunity to embrace “30”. (My initial reaction to reaching this ‘birth’day was not met with excitement or enthusiasm.)

823. Seeing God at work in my children by the questions they ask.

824. Glimpses of God's creativity and care as He uniquely calls us each to a beautiful relationship with Him.

825. Getting to read that very special book to my children now.

3 comments:

  1. happy rebirthday! Beautiful testimony. I think i might look into that book for my grandchildren:)Love you Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful memory. What a joy to see the saving and keeping power of God. He gently led you and kept you in the hollow of his hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay...super cool!!!! i love that you get to read them the same book!
    God is sooo good!!! :)

    ReplyDelete