Friday, September 9, 2011

It's A Date!


While up at the cabin last month, I decided to take each of my boys out for some special one-on-one time before Greta is born and life gets a little crazy.  Do any of you do that with your children?  I remember my mom taking each of us girls out for a special 'date' each summer.  It was the highlight of our summer each year!

Treyton (3.5 years) and I headed over to a local mall and rode the carousal and then went and explored a small military museum inside the mall.  He had so much fun and jabbered up a storm.  He will still regal me with stories of our little adventure that day a few weeks ago...
 Keegan (5 years) is my little artist.  So I decided to take him to a local art museum.  I wish I had just plunked down the money to take him to the children's art museum because there are so many opportunities for the kids to participate and make some art of their own.  In the end, I opted for free, especially since they mentioned having some stuff for kids to interact with.  While they did have a little kid sized table in each gallery, the extent of the kid friendly portion centered around a large flat panel TV playing cartoons.  Ugh.

We still enjoyed taking his art book and sitting down to sketch.  We also ended up stopping by the Christian bookstore and I bought him his very own Comic book style picture Bible like Xander has.  He was so excited to have a 'bigger' Bible for Quiet Times.  It was so cute to see him plop down to 'read' it!



This last week, Xander (7 years old) and I went out for an afternoon.  We went to the Arizona Museum of Natural History.  I was excited to have just him so that we could linger longer at exhibits that interested him and to have some one-on-one time to really focus on him too!  We've also been reading The Baby Sister (which is an incredible and very positive book about a new sibling) that Tomie dePaola, one of my favorite illustrator/authors wrote.  He asked last week if we could go buy some ribbons for Greta's hair just like Tomie wanted for his little sister.  So we headed to Ribbons and Lace and picked out a few ribbons for Greta.


I loved the opportunity for a special afternoon with each of my boys.  We will definitely be doing this again!  I'd love to hear how you all spend special one-on-one time with your kids.

3 comments:

  1. Your children are so blessed to have a mother who adores them & nurtues them. MiMa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't done much of this yet... but I look forward to it! SO important when you have more than one child. I have wonderful memories of dates with my dad growing up.

    ReplyDelete