Monday, November 28, 2011

Bought at a price...

Today has been one of those days.  Well, maybe not one of THOSE days...  Actually the more I think about it, today was a pretty normal, run-of-the-mill kind of day.

peaceful moments punctuated with cries and whines.
                                         teachable hearts one moment, stubborn one's the next. 
                                                                                   calm and tranquility interrupted by chaos.

Life is a roller coaster - full of ups and downs.

During my peak of feeling overwhelmed today, I started to reach for my go-to coping mechanisms.  Any of you have those?  Sadly, chocolate and cookie dough balls were out of the question. {I'm in the middle of an elimination diet to determine exactly what foods are bothering my baby girl.  So dairy, wheat/gluten, eggs, chocolate and a few other things are off limits.}  Mindlessly surfing the Internet is my next escape...

As I slipped to the front room in an attempt to escape reality, I felt a nudge from the Holy Spirit as He dropped a nugget from the Word into my heart.

"...you are not your own.  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."
(I Corinthians 6:19b-20)

God reminded me that my life is not my own.  I've given it to Him.  And He's called me to be in the moment, doing what I'm supposed to be doing.  I am a mother to these four, called to embrace the glorious and messy job of raising them, showing them what it means to live in the world -but not of it and introducing them to Jesus.  At these times, I'm called to embrace the chaos and look to Him for peace.  So I turned back and thanked God for speaking to me and tackled the rest of my day.   The baby still fussed, boys bickered and my patience ran thin.  But God was faithful to continually draw me back, renewing my focus and resolve.  He showered me with his love so I could in turn love my children.  I'm so very thankful...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Heather for allowing Him to speak through you... straight to me. Have a better day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully said! I'm kind of having that kind of day today! Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great word from the Lord our God! How merciful He is to meet us in our humbled moments. Thank you for sharing Heather. This truth solidifies what the Lord is reminding me as I walk with my kids in our home! I am praying for your lovely family from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how this rings true Heather! May the LORD indeed be your portion day by day and moment by moment!

    So sorry your baby girl has been having troubles with her tummy...not fun! :( What a wonderful Mommy you are to eliminate chocolate (especially) for her sake!! Hang in there...it WILL get better! :)

    BTW...did you know that your profile page still says that you are Mommy to three little boys?? An update is in order. :)

    Blessings to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete