Friday, May 4, 2012

Handmade Tradition, Passed On



I am slightly obsessed with making handmade gifts. There is something so fun about the creative process and then giving the results of your dreaming, planning and creating to someone...

This last Christmas, my boys were excited to join in.  My sister had sent me this link since she knew that Keegan had clay to work with.  We were inspired and the boys set to work wrapping fingers around clay and coaxing it into a variety of different shapes.  I couldn't help myself, but ended up joining them in playing with the pliable clay and forming beautiful beads, poking holes in them with chopsticks and then gently placing on our cookie sheets to bake.

You would have thought a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies were baking with how eagerly they all sat around the oven...

Afterwards, the boys and I discussed placement of beads and strung them onto twine and then added ribbon.  Their hard work was rewarded by a very excited cousin on Christmas morning...

With those memories in mind, we are gathering ideas and looking forward to getting a jump start on gift-making this summer.

Do you or your children make homemade gifts?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Heather! I like to make homemade gifts. My children make homemade cards. I think people appreciate things made with love. It looks like you are cultivating that joy in your own young ones my friend. What a blessing!

    Blessings to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love making handmade cards here too! And yes, there is something special about the thought put into the creation of a card!

    ReplyDelete