Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Nailing 95 Thesis...


Learning along-side my children is so much fun.  I love that in addition to the basic skills they need to aqcuire (learning how to read, write and arithmetic), everything else is so varied.  Every day is a new adventure as we learn more about the world around us.

This study of courage has taken us down many different paths. It was fun to begin talking about church history as we explored the life of Martin Luther.  We not only need courage to fight physical battles, but also to enter into the realm of thoughts and beliefs where we must hold fast to our convictions.

After reading about his life, the boys LOVED imitating the nailing of the 95 Thesis.  It was interesting to observe how each of them approached this project and their varying skill levels in getting this job done.  No tears and only a few smarting fingers afterwards.  And parental oversight is a must with an activity like this.  I discovered that the hard way when I left them to go get lunch started.  We ended up scouring the ground for a missing nail for quite a while. 

But all in all -

Hammer + Nails = Boy Bliss

5 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Mind if I steal it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! This would be a perfect Reformation Day project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How FUN! What a great idea Heather. You are such a creative homeschool Mom!! Your boys must LOVE school! :)

    Don't you just love Reformation history? Such a rich heritage we have as Christians, don't you think?

    Blessings to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dayebydaye, hahaha. Sure. That's why I shared it! :)

    Camille, absolutely. I ended up reading more than they did and it was fascinating to study it now that I'm an adult. My perspective is so different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! We just did Martin Luther - I'm totally borrowing this idea!

    ReplyDelete