Friday, July 27, 2012

Our Daily Dose of Science!

Monsoon season has a way of luring us outdoors...  The smell of the creosote, the dip in temperature and puddles, puddles everywhere!

I think the boys couldn't be more pleased with the 'daily outdoors challenge'.  They know that if I'm feeling iffy on going outside that they can just bring this up and hold me accountable! :)

We had fun walking the neighborhood, inspecting the retention basins which had a couple of feet of water and we collectively mourned the loss of one of our trees out front in the aftermath of recent storms.

Monsoon season is also when some of our desert wildlife that has been safely hiding underground comes out to play.  A fascinating croaking sound met our ears as we embarked to explore our flooded neighborhood.  While building dams with river rock, we discovered these little toads out and about.  I believe they are Colorado River Toads, sometimes also called Sonoran Desert Toads.  But after listening to the call of the American Bullfrog, I'm not sure.  They were quite busy that night and within two days when we were outside again, exploring the water that was left, the boys discovered TADPOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh this is one of the beauties of childhood. Memories came flooding back from my childhood and the many instances of wading in the lake behind my home capturing tadpoles and then taking them home for the remainder of their metamorphosis.

There is something so special, so powerful about tangible, impromptu science lessons like this.  We studied frogs last year, but even reading about it in books or doing some fun activity doesn't even begin to compare with the real thing.  Watching the transformation take place before our very eyes is simply amazing.  This morning our little tadpoles merely had two tiny legs. By dinner time, they are sporting tiny arms too.

It is a timely reminder to seize the 'real-life' learning opportunities that come our way because context and experience are potent allies in the learning process.

So we continue our daily outdoor challenge.  I haven't been doing it perfectly, but life is settling back into routine and with it the daily habit of time spent outdoors WITH my children.



4 comments:

  1. What great photos Heather! Aren't kids just amazing at keeping us accountable?? :) And, how fun is that to be able to watch the transformation right before your eyes...tadpoles are interesting little creatures! I bet the boys think so too.

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos! I also feel a litte better that you mentioned that you are focusing on the time spent outside with your little ones, not on perfection. Sometimes it's difficult with all that is going on in our lives to keep up with exactly 15 minutes each and every day. But then I think about all of the time we have spent outdoors ~ way more than I would have if I didn't begin this challenge. Thanks so much for sharing the fun you've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You are so like me... to capitalize and exclaim, TADPOLES!!! just shows how their momma is just as excited about all this outdoor learning :)
    Thanks, Heather, for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camille, kids are great at keeping us accountable. I'm so very thankful for how God has used them to help me!

    Gina, I whole-heartedly agree. While I fall woefully short of perfection, I too am so thankful for the memories we are making outdoors, even during theser hot months.

    Heather, yet ANOTHER area where we share more than just a name in common. Yes I think my enthusiasm on our discovery was as great as the boys excitement!

    ReplyDelete