Friday, January 4, 2013

When a Good Plan Goes South...

Ever had an idea that you were sure would be a big hit only to find it tank?  Homeschooling provides me many of these.  I like to keep our learning literature-rich, engaging, multi-sensory and as effortless as possible.  You know, the kind of learning where they don't even realize they are doing any active learning until later???

While that is my overall goal, sometimes an idea doesn't always come off as planned.  And sometimes you just need to put in some good, hard work whether you want to or not!

Case-in-point: Today.

Since you can't major on everything, I pick something that no matter what life throws at us that day, we try and get THIS done.  Our Phonics/Spelling program is my hill-to-die-on for this year for the bigger two. {Faithful follow-through in obedience is it for the four year old!}  

With the craziness of the holidays behind us, I find myself wanting to ease back into routine.  So this week, the boys started back with that. After a morning spent at the zoo, I decided to add a fun, {messy} twist to our spelling practice time.  Remember when I posted about our 'taking a snow day' a couple of years ago?  In the midst of their 'play' they engaged in some impromptu handwriting practice. As I prepared for our activity, I could hear the cheers of excited little boys!!! Plus, taking the pencil away and turning the handwriting in a more 'gross-motor' direction typically makes it easier for us to squeeze in more words than usual.

And really, what could be more fun than cookie sheets, shaving cream and some good ol' spelling practice?!?!?!

{Keegan's favorite picture.}
 

It was fun for the first couple of words, but the novelty wore off quicker than I anticipated.  Whining and complaining commenced, punctuated with the joyful boasting from the 4.5 year old that he got to play with dinosaurs...
The boys learned an important lesson: even if the 'fun' has dissipated, the work still remains and must be done.  Those that apply themselves get to play.  Those that don't, run out of time.  A lesson in perseverance and working hard.

Mama learned that maybe something like this might seem more rewarding when compared to the usual routine instead of the joys of vacation.  I'm planning a do-over in a few weeks!  Poor timing can derail even some of the best ideas.

Sometimes life's lessons are tough.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you shared this post! I am always amazed that some of my favorite ideas in theory do not work out and the ones that I think they won't enjoy, they do! The challenges of being a mom/teacher, right?!!
    Anyway, great post, Heather and thanks for keeping it real! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real is right... I had the camera out thinking I was going to capture the 'magic' for a fun, upbeat post! :) lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that is too funny! Love the pics regardless, lol!
    I've had many "southern" experiences that were intended to rock the socks off my kids. Yes, I too, lived and learned :)

    ReplyDelete