Thursday, January 3, 2013

One Word: FOCUS

Have you seen people talking about their year in terms of 'one-word?'  {My new blog-friend, Erica over at Spoonful of Imagination wrote about hers recently...} It is funny because I've found myself gravitating towards that for the last couple of weeks.  In fact, I had planned out a whole series that I wanted to share.  But I kept coming back to this ONE WORD. 

I'm a verbose person.  Just ask my husband.  I think out-loud and I'm always thinking.  Rich tells me that he can actually think about nothing.  Nothing.  Can you imagine?  I can't either.  It must be a guy-thing.

Anyways, my husband is constantly asking for the bottom line.  He wants me to sum it all up and get to the point.  While I find it aggravating at times since I'd  oftentimes much prefer to talk and talk until something makes sense to me, it is so good for me to stop and train my mind to sift through things faster and boil what I want to say down to a few power-packed sentences.  :sigh: I love him.

As I've been revisiting our mission and praying over goals we are setting for our homeschooling, family life, our new volunteer duties, and some of the big plans I have for the blog, I keep coming back to one word: FOCUS.

Because when I don't, I miss out on too much.

When my toddler wants to bring me toys and play with me, I need to sit on the floor and give her some undivided attention.  I need to FOCUS.

When my four year old is repeatedly getting distracted and not doing what I ask, I need to follow through and let him know that I'm there to watch and help make sure he does what I expect.  I need to FOCUS.. {focus on helping him focus...}

When that same four year old comes to me with eyes sparkling and holding a preschool-in-a-bag activity, I need to make make time in our schedule for some special time with him.  I need to FOCUS.

When we are in the middle of reading aloud and the phone rings or a beep indicates a new text message, I need to realize that just about any call can wait until the proper time.  Cuddling with the kids, engrossed in a good book together takes precedence.  I need to FOCUS.

When sibling bickering escalates, I need to be prepared to drop whatever we are doing and attend to the heart lessons at hand.  I need to FOCUS.

Afternoons are no longer my own.  I'm REALLY a homeschool mama now.  In order to get everything done in a day, I need to block out distractions.  I need to FOCUS.

When housework, my nemesis, needs to be done, it is time to cast off distraction. I need to take the kids along, train them while we go and get our home pulled together.  I need to FOCUS.

When I'm on the computer, I need a game plan.  I have big plans, but checking facebook or email for the upteenth time or spontaneously doing some random and extensive internet search is a sure-fire way to derail getting what I really want done, done.  I need to FOCUS.

When my day has slipped away from me, I need to pray and prioritize, thanking God for fresh grace.  I need to re-FOCUS.

Life is too short to be lost in distraction.  There is too much at stake.  I want to live moment by moment in the midst of whatever God has for me.  I want to model this for my children.  What a gift to give them.

So I focus on my one-word.  I pull out my tried and true tricks that help in this area.  And I look to grow...

What about you?  Am I the only person that struggles sometimes with lack of focus? What do you do to help maintain your focus? 

Do YOU have one-word that describes your goals for this next year?

4 comments:

  1. Focus is hard for many, but knowing that makes it easier to get yourself under control. I know it did for me once I noticed that I was spending too much time researching and the laundry was piling up. I then sat down and wrote out my day and made a schedule for the whole day. I left 10 minutes in between each to take a break or to relax. So, that I would stick to this schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the word focus! it sums it all up nicely, there is so much to distract us from our vocation. I've gone with the word Order this year, so much flows from that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, Researching can be my nemesis too. Routine definitely helps me and we are in the midst of re-establishing that now! :)

    Erin ~ Order. You are right. so much flows out of that. For our studies this semester, we are focusing on the character trait of orderliness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's totally a guy thing! :)
    I just blogged about this very thing. My word is not goal oriented, but geared toward life in general. Preparation. God is preparing us for...something!

    ReplyDelete