Thursday, February 12, 2009

Loyalty


Lately, I've been reading a lot on Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education (both academic and spiritual). It has been inspiring.

Recently this stood out to me:

"The Essense of Christianity is Loyalty to a Person -Christ, our King. Here is a thought to unseal the fountains of love and loyalty, the treasures of faith and imagination, bound up in the child. The very essense of Christianity is personal loyalty, passionate loyalty to our adorable Chief. We have laid other foundations - regeneration, sacraments, justification, works, faith, the Bible - any of which, however necessary to salvation in its due place and proportion, may become a religion about Christ and without Christ. And now a time of sifting has come upon us, and thoughtful people decline to know anything about our religious systems, they write down all our orthodox beliefs as things not knowable. Perhaps this may be because, in thinking much of our salvation, we have put out of sight our King... Let us save Christianity for our children by bringing them into allegiance to Christ the King."
She goes on to say,

"The indwelling of Christ is a thought particularly fit for the children, because their large faith does not stumble at the mystery, their imagination leaps readily to the marvel, that the King Himself should inherit a little child's heart."
I've been thinking a lot about what it means to have faith like a child. I am in awe at the love and trust that my boys have for us as their parents. They know we love them more than anything and the simplicity of their faith in us blows me away. My prayer is that my faith in God would be like their faith in us - simple and complete. I'm thankful that I can just enjoy His presence and know that He will never let me go!

I am also humbled to have the oppportunity to introduce my boys to Christ -our King. May my life communicate that loyalty and love for Him is like nothing else we can ever imagine! May they see my loyalty being first and formost to my Redeemer, my Friend, my King.

1 comment:

  1. Great quotes. How proper an exhortation to remember the indwelling Lord who we love, and not just all the theology that surrounds him.

    ReplyDelete