Friday, January 22, 2010

Rainy Day Relaxing...

It has been raining like crazy here for the last several days.   Of course, we've enjoyed some good 'ol puddle jumping and umbrella play.

But the chilly weather has also put us in a bigger mood for books.
There is just something special about curling up on the couch with a good book.  We are on our second read-thru of Mr. Popper's Penguins.

I wasn't sure they had enjoyed it the first time through, but when we finished it, they clamoured to read it again!  Our usual time for read-aloud chapter books is at bedtime.  I get them tucked in and then read a chapter or two so they can wind down.

But today, since our backyard is virtually a lake, it just seemed like a perfect day to read a lot more than usual!

When we were little our mom would give us either color sheets or sometimes some handwork to keep our bodies busy while we listened.  I know this has always helped me.  I'm a much better listener if my body is busy.  In fact, I still have my best talks with God (or anyone else for that matter) while I'm out for a walk!
So far, it is working well for the boys too.  In our home, we've experimented with blocks and coloring as long as they agree not to talk amongst themselves while I read. 

Sometimes it works really well.  Other times, we wait on the chapter books until bedtime... 

F.L.E.X.I.B.I.L.I.T.Y seems to be essential in my house these days!

2 comments:

  1. We liked that book as well!
    I love how your photos capture the natural activity of the boys.
    Where did you get those great blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks came from http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com.

    ReplyDelete